Saturday, March 18, 2006

Straight talk about a straight pull.

I was reviewing some recent articles on El Capitan's blog. In particular the one where he is fixin’ to mount a scope on his straight pull Swiss rifle. I guess I need to put in my two cents here. I see no reason to scope the rifle unless it is step one toward total sporterization. If you are going to mount the scope and not convert it to a sniper varient, then sporterize it or leave it alone. The Cap is almost as good a shot as I am. (He may disagree with that last statement) His iron sight groupings at 100 yds are more than adequate. Unless he is going to hunt with it leave it be. And if you are going to hunt with it, then sporterize it. The rifle is a piece of history. It should be either left alone, or possibly modified to reflect another historic variant or turn it into a sporter. As a sporter you have rebuilt the gun and made it a hunting rifle. I guess I am just a big fan of early to mid 20th century Euro-bolts and just hate to see one changed. But it is his rifle, not mine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home